The Quality Assurance, Compliance & Accreditation Department of the Council of Legal Education is one of the key departments of the organization. It is the largest Department and prides itself as the fulcrum of the organization. Being part of the larger organization, the Department derives its mandate from the Legal Education Act (No. 12 of 2012) and the Council of Legal Education (Licensing & Quality Assurance) Regulations 2015. Its principal functions include:
- Ensuring that the legal education regulatory framework is implemented in accordance with the law.
- Developing and enforcing standards for accreditation of legal education providers, curricular and mode of instruction, quality and mode of examinations.
- Developing and enforcing standards on harmonization of legal education.
- Ensuring that the highest possible standards of legal education and training are maintained.
- Coordinating the inspection of legal training providers for purposes of accreditation.
- Developing and implementing a framework for equation of foreign qualification.
- Coordinating training programmes for legal training providers.
- Delivery of accreditation, licensing and certification services for legal education providers.
- Monitoring and evaluating the provision of legal education through audits and inspections.