The Statute Law (Miscellaneous Amendment) Act 2014, bestowed on the Council of Legal Education the singular mandate to recognize and approve legal education qualifications obtained abroad for individuals seeking admission to the Bar Programme and/or practice law in Kenya. Recognition and approval services are offered on formal application by any seeking to have his/her qualifications equated and approved.
Once Council has evaluated the qualification, it issues a recommendations on how the particular qualification compares with similar qualification or set of qualifications in the Kenyan Legal education system, labour market or the profession.
- Original and certified copies of ALL academic Certificates including: (i) Certified copies of LL.B. Degree certificate and results transcripts; (ii) Certified copies of all high school transcripts (i.e. ‘O’ and ‘A’ levels as applicable). Please note i). All Certificates issued by Kenya National Examinations Council (KNEC) must be verified by KNEC before Council receives them. Please note that your application shall not be processed until a Verification of Certificate is received from KNEC. ii). High school qualifications obtained outside Kenya must be subjected to equation from Kenya National Examinations Council (KNEC).
- Proof of Accreditation status of the LL.B. program in the country of award.
- Letter of recommendation of the applicant from the institution granting the academic award
- Copy of the curriculum (or detailed course descriptions) being equated.
- Payment of the requisite fees (Kshs. 10,000).
Click here to download: Application for Recognition and Approval of Foreign Qualifications Form